Did you get a new vehicle or are you thinking about it? This process can be troublesome, we know - there are so many different rules, forms and requirements! We're here to help get you prepared so your visit can be a breeze......
Watch the calendar - Recently purchased vehicles must be registered within 60 days of the purchase date. You can purchase a 60-day permit which is only allowed to be issued one-time per vehicle sale.
Legally - Motor vehicles must be titled in the state and county where the vehicle is garaged in the state of Kansas.
1. PROOF OF IDENTITY: A valid form of government issued identification is required to complete the transaction
2. TITLE or CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN: The new owner's name and Kansas driver's license number MUST be assigned on the back of the title
*If your title is not a Kansas title, you must have a Kansas vehicle VIN inspection which can be performed at the Sheriff's office. They will require a $20 cash payment, physically see your vehicle and review the title. They then provide you proof of your valid inspection - bring this with you as well
3. BILL OF SALE or PURCHASE ORDER: Documentation showing the purchase price, sales tax paid, date of purchase, and other pertinent information
4. PROOF OF INSURANCE: Proof of insurance on the newly purchased vehicle must be provided
5. OTHER DOCUMENTS: Repossession affidavit or any other documentation provided to you in order for you to title the vehicle